Saturday, October 11, 2014

Universal precautions of infection control

Universal Precautions Of Infection Control
October 11, 2014

   There are moments to remember about FMC Butner . Moments of dismay . Moments of paradoxical discoveries . Coincidentally some of these moments occured about the time my treatment team and myself were debating a sensitive topic:  standards of universal precautions and infection control in hospitals.  
    The first occurred sometime in early July 2014. A very tall and  ill  person preoccupied with biblical delusions of being  Abraham  – stepped into my cell on 2G. ‘I'm terribly sorry, truly sorry Doc, you have been so nice to me ;have given me so much coffee and soup .And I did let you down.” He said .
    Before I could  respond , he added .” All these times I've been shaking your hand to thank you. Abraham said I must tell you the truth. I have not been washing my hands after using the toilet.”
    The following day I was jolted by a comment   in my doctors office:” it's not a good idea to shake hands with  patients” my doctor observed.                                                                      
       “I can't believe this is a hospital where public bathrooms do not have toilet paper or soap ”. I said excitedly.
   My doctor hesitated for a second . “These people steal toilet paper ”.
      Suddenly  we were rudely interrupted by a visiting mouse . Miss   Murray the intern panicked. The frightened mouse vanished   by  the screaming  intern .
     


     


No comments:

Post a Comment