Saturday, November 29, 2014

Why do imprison innocent pretrial people with mental illness?

              Why Do We Imprison Pretrial People
                               With Mental Illness?

                                                      Alen J Salerian MD

   Persecution of people with mental illness has been a sad reality since ancient times. It seems that discriminatory influences  are currently reinforced by routine department of justice practices.
   It is true  that at present -without clinical necessity- a person with possible mental illness  could be forced to be hospitalized before  trial.  Under any circumstances psychiatric hospitalization is  stressful . Psychiatric hospitalization in a prison system is very stressful and at a great cost to taxpayers. In year 2014 in America It is difficult to  accept this practice of routine imprisonment of pretrial people with mental illness .  This practice is a vestige of ignorant prejudice  which i endured
 personally.
    I was not suicidal , homicidal or a threat to anyone . I was not a security risk yet I was ordered to be imprisoned for mental examination.  At FMC Butner I have met hundreds of people victimized by our prejudicial laws.
   This is one of the reasons I'm still trying to meet with my Senator.

   I'm hopeful that I may hear some helpful feedback on this very issue at my trial in Abington Virginia on December 10, 2014.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts are with you. It seems there is no end to this nightmare. If there were anything I thought I could do, I would have done so long ago.

    ReplyDelete