Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My Birthday at FMC Butner Prison




My  Birthday At FMC Butner Prison
Alen J Salerian MD
October 9, 2014

      I shall never  forget my 67th birthday .    The good news was although I was in a solitary housing unit-SHU , a  kind physician Dr. Karoll let my wife  sing “happy birthday Alen” on the phone.Sadly before the good Dr. let me enjoy telephone privileges I had to go on a hunger strike. The good news was things worked out fine and she was on the phone. She was hesitant at first yet we did end up singing together ,’’ happy birthday Alen”.
    On August 9, 2014, Judith did not understand my telephone call or request. She was most anxious to know whether I was okay in the SHU.
   How did I end up in  the SHU? It is true that I had worked very hard to invite Sen. Mikulski to visit the prison. My hope was to inform my Senator about slave labor of victims of mental retardation. They were pretrial evaluees coerced to work for $.75 a day with hopes of early discharge.
    The barbaric treatment of mentally ill is  standard care  at FMC Butner . A good number of mentally ill patients  did join my efforts. Many of us did end up in the SHU  accused of inciting  gang activity.
   On August 8 , 9  guards came to my cell to put me in handcuffs. I would end up naked sitting in my own body products and  being ordered to eat  my feces at least three times. The  following day  was  my birthday. I thought a birthday song  would  complement  my early celebration .
   I am most thankful to Dr. Karoll ,the physician on call who made my birthday almost perfect .


No comments:

Post a Comment