Friday, October 10, 2014

Our Prison Project  :
My Senator Is Coming

Alen J Salerian MD
October 10, 2014

       In late July 2014 a visit by Sen. Barbara Mikulski to FMC Butner did not sound like  a bad  idea. In fact we the prisoners- accused of crimes we have not committed and   faced with  being misdiagnosed   as delusional -were excited to make  my senators dream visit possible.
     I had my personal pain that motivated me. My psychiatrist  Dr. Michael Gross  had strongly disagreed with  the  forensic report from a government psychologist but could not stop my involuntary commitment  to FMC Butner.
      Sadly many of my  fellow prisoners had stories reminiscent of the tales eloquently described  by Michelle Alexander in “the new Jim Crow laws “.
     Our collective energy has given birth to Poetry Club and Godiwa  Kings. Our bond was unjust suffering. We had  adopted  peaceful and creative avenues.  Our aim was to publicize immoral things happening in America. Slave labor of victims of mental retardation was one. Abuse of psychiatric treatment to punish or oppress countless helpless victims was another.
     Many  inmates jumped on the wagon. Some understood our noble cause: transparency and honesty to improve conditions for many. Some liked having fun and enjoying  food. Some have legal agendas to help their own cases. Sunlight to the idea of the one-mile race with special awards. Some just like the excitement of doing something at a time of helplessness. There were real indications that Sen. would actually  honor our request . Communication was a big challenge because we had limited avenues in every word  was monitore closely.. We understood that the system had creative and dubious methods to sabotage our effort. We quickly learned that in fact a potential visit by the Sen. was having a positive impact. There were many quick discharges of people  awaiting discharge  for a long time.  The cluster and speed of discharges suggested something positive. There were rumors confirmed by the nursing  that the hospital was gearing for a special review. Several nurses and doctors were reprimanded for their negligent care involving my treatment. There were also specific questions and comments by my doctors about the senator's visit.

     Then for whatever reason Sen. Mikulski did not show up on August 29 2014. Excitement turned to pain. Pain became anger. Anger was directed at me and at the end bad things happened.  In the big picture  I'm most grateful to my fellow inmates for their extraordinary efforts. I still hope Sen. Mikulski will visit FMC in the near future . Where she joins me or not I plan to  visit my friends who are still  imprisoned at FMC BUTNER .

No comments:

Post a Comment