Thursday, March 19, 2015

cartoons not Politically correct

                          Doctors  For Equal Rights For Physical And Mental Pain
        8409 Carlynn Dr. Bethesda, MD 20817               alensalerian@gmail.com
                                           dralensalerian.blogspot.com 
 Founding members:
 Siobhan Reynolds Kevin Byers Vanessa Mullin Alen J Salerian Solange MacArthur

 Are Cartoonists Safe From
 Bullying In Washington DC?
  Alen J Salerian MD
   March 19, 2015


   Recent killings of cartoonists in Paris  stirred up memories from a few years back when I exhibited my not so funny cartoons critical of modern  psychiatry at Watergate gallery in Northwest Washington DC.
   I was lucky I got a lot of attention partly because Norman Mailer thought my cartoons were brave and hilarious.
     The local psychiatric community, Washington second society and APA disagreed with Norman Mailer. They suspected mental illness was giving birth to my cartoons. I had to have a face-to-face interview and a confirmation by a senior psychiatrist declaring my work” not the product of an insane person”. This was not the end.
   A few years later a Maryland prosecutor presented my cartoons as  evidence of my delusional mind.

I consider myself lucky unlike my colleagues in Paris I am alive only my practice is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment