Tuesday, March 17, 2015

HAGOP SALERI-St. Jacob-JACOB ABELLO

    Hagop Baba St. Jacob
    (Dedicated to Jacob AbbĂ©llo ,Ara Hagop Salerian)



March 17, 2015


 Soon it will be April 23 the anniversary of my father's death. strangely I observe ,I never knew his birthday -of course one reason was celebrating name days was the custom back home in Istanbul- and  we did celebrate St. Jacob two weeks before Christmas every year at the expense of his birthday.
 I miss my Baba   more than my mama.  I second-guess myself for not investing more time to have known this gentle nervous man better.
   My baba used to say being alive is an accident….. I couldn't quite understand what he meant by it. I thought perhaps  this was  his perspective  sculpted by  as a  persecuted minority with untamed intolerance in a young democracy.
   A few years before he flew to heaven , during  one of our rare private talks I gained a different insight.:My father viewed  himself as a lucky survivor, an orphan protected by Angels- one of them is oldest sister TATA -who took care of him after two third of his body suffered second and third degree burns.  He was hospitalized ,first told he would never walk again but managed to walk with much help from…Tata. He had already endured the abrupt losses of  mother to pneumonia and father to cancer. The fire crippled his joy of playing the violin the same way a stroke stole the pleasure of playing the piano at the age of 59. 
  Baba  prayed quietly ,cried listening to Bach violin partita and never complained about unfairness of life.

 His journey to heaven was heavenly. He died in his sleep next to mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment