Wednesday, November 11, 2015

We Love Building Churches DR SALERIAN POEM AND IMAGE

We Love Building Churches

My grandpa Garabet
Loved building big things
Big buildings in Istanbul
Seven stories tall
Uncles and aunts together
Under one roof
Across the street from
Hrant’s Agos  paper
On Easter and Christmas
Us visiting churches
Built by distant cousins
The thing about my tribe
We love building churches
We never attend
My people also built
Magnificent structures
Hospitals military housing
They were not allowed in
Other  many relatives
Sinan built mosques and bridges
Otttoman treasures
 Not Dolmabahce Palace
My grandpa asked Balyan Bey
The architect
To build one for our tribe
He said no
That's why
Grandpa built our building
Salerian apartment
Saksi sokak number 19
Floor three
Where my twin and I  were born

Before flying to America

No comments:

Post a Comment